Mesa Sunrise

I'm in the habit of waking up early these days. When I do, I put on the same clothing time and again. Whether it's warm enough for the morning or not, I guess I don't care. If the wind is too strong, or the air too cold, I get up and go out the door, and maybe come right back in, or maybe stay out a while. Either way, I'm out the door.

The door is at 8,000ft on the Mesa Verde, at a place called Far View. The Far View Visitor Center is across the street, and the Far View Terrace around the corner. I have a front-walk view of the mesas and canyons of Mesa Verde country. If you've been here, then you may realize the beauty of which I speak. Even as I write this I can turn to see dark green mesas, or gray, if they were fire-struck, lined with golden sandstone rims. Sometimes I get giddy when I realize where I am.

Sunrise happens here right over the La Plata Mountains, from my house northeast, over the lodge, and it comes around 6:30 right now. It's been a special blessing to wake up here this spring.

Comments

Popular Posts