Do the Basics

Practice. Work. Everyday is another chance to choose: Groove or ground.

Let me explain with a story. When I was a kid, I played sports every chance I got. I played because it was a social thing, because I enjoyed it, because I loved how I felt. Playing sports so much helped me gain confidence that I had the ability to learn and get good at things.

Then something shook my confidence.

When this happened I began to lose my swagger and confidence in sports. I went looking for a way to get myself back. I think this is when I decided to switch schools and play football. But, it's a tired old saw. I'm tired of the narrative. It's time to change it all up!

Football was a great challenge for me. I wanted it! It's how I started to go for goals. I told my family that I wanted to play in the NFL. That may not have come, but at least I went for something and started dreaming.

There's nothing to judge from my past. Nothing. With nothing to judge, I am free to choose my story, free to look forward, and look where I DESIRE to Be. I was at a conference a couple years back where I heard Terri Savelle Foy speak. She was talking about keeping focus on where we wish to be. She said that in order to do this, we can not keep our eyes on the circumstances around us but on the path ahead and on the vision of where we are going.

When this, this, this all about us comes to be the focus, then going somewhere takes much longer because we end up spinning in circles, dog meet tail.

Somewhere I have a picture of the first dog ever given to me. My brother brought this little fur ball home in the pocket of a flannel shirt he was wearing to school that day. He was in 7th grade, so I think maybe I was in Kindergarten when I first met our little golden mini-collie/other little golden dog mix.

I don't recall why I called her Choo Choo, but I did. It must have been the angels whispering to me, because she turned out to be all that and more. She was super cute, very fun, happy and energetic and she had two habits that made her Choo Choo.

One: She would run circles around our little house like she was on a track. She had such short little legs and was so quick that her features were a blur as she chugged past each time. Habit Two: Choo Choo would then step up to the landing on the front concrete steps and do crazy spins. And if you were standing beside the step and she could use the whole 9 square feet of the landing, then you could have seen why we could have called her Tornado or Twister or some such name.

And what, you might ask, does this have to do with goals? Well, to this day I don't know exactly why Choo Choo did what she did, but if she wanted to take her little caboose somewhere else, she would have had to take her eyes off her tail or her race track around the house and then look where she wanted to be going. We all have a "tail." Are you chasing yours or letting it help balance you like a squirrel on a telephone line?

When we take control of our focus, then we can take control of our balance. And when we control our balance we know it's easier to point in one direction and get where we plan to go

Comments

Popular Posts