New Mexico Baseball - Part 2


Image Courtesy of Troy (NY) Record
The Connie Mack World Series in Farmington, NM, stole the show when it came to my time in New Mexico and my baseball quest. Connie Mack is a nationwide league, extending into Puerto Rico, and involves some fine 16-18 year old young men playing baseball for the love. And they play with wooden bats! I love it. Not only do these young men get to play my favorite game and play it really well, but they also get the beautiful experience of having a baseball compress and spring off the sweet spot of a wooden bat.

And then there's the sound which can be described as nothing other than fundamental to the game: the crack of the ball smashing solidly off said sweet spot. It's the feeling of knowing you hit it well, of knowing your training paid off in that one moment, because you just did very well the most difficult thing to do in sport.

I saw two great games: the Florida Legends beat the Dallas Tigers, 11-1. The next game held more drama: The Dallas DBAT Mustangs beat the Midland (Cinicinatti, OH) Redskins in their last at-bat. They were the visitors and made the come-from-behind victory complete by shutting down Midland in the bottom of the 7th inning. Just the half inning before, the Mustangs left-fielder crushed a first pitch fastball over the right field fence with a man aboard to score the go-ahead run.

As it turns out, however, Midland was not done. They came back the next night and beat the Dallas Mustangs 7-1 to win the Championship. If you must know, I was cheering for them simply because they are from Ohio and I lived in Ohio for a while. Beyond simply rooting for one team, I was rooting for all the boys to do well. I love the game and love to see people excel in it.

Comments

Popular Posts