The State of Baseball in New Mexico -Part 1


Doug Mientkiewicz, pictured, a favorite Minnesota Twin from days of yore, now plays for Albuquerque.

If you know me well, you know of my love of baseball. It's an artful game, and can extend into the transcendent. I've been feeling an absence of baseball from my life since living at Mesa Verde and southwest Colorado. Geography can be a tricky thing when it comes to satisfying some of these needs.

That's why part of my 11 days off has included a copious amount of baseball. 4 games in 3 days. First stop, was Dodgertown, New Mexcio, and the Albuquerque Isotopes vs the Tacoma Rainiers. My friends and I received free tickets from their son and grandson who is the Albuquerque mascot "Orbit." The night was warm and pleasant, the game well played and captivating. The home team lost, but my love for the game was confirmed.

Love affirmed, I sought to do what most lovers seek to do, obtain more of the thing they crave. I went back for more the next day, a day game. On this day, the hero was my hero. Mientkiewicz hit the ball hard, early and often. This also included the game winning RBI. I especially enjoyed the view from behind home plate, as the 'Topes and Rainiers starting pitching was quite good. This also gives me the view I was most used to playing baseball, that of catcher.

Comments

Popular Posts