New Challenges

It seems I've gotten to an interesting point in my new work. Managing the schedule is not hard, I've done that. Learning to give a tour involved some work, but for the most part it came naturally. The important issue now is learning to do them well consistently, and to do them better than I have. Doing better need not become a mental thing, but I do want to be good. And I've found my energy level dropping already. What reason do I have to be low energy? There may be something to this.

Fall is nearly upon us, as I have seen in the foliage. See the picture below. Summer is always an active time, and I usually do feel a bit of an energy shift toward the end of summer. Usually it's a gradual awareness of a weary state which, perhaps, has come on as a result of the extra activity that comes with more sunlight and warmer weather. This summer has been particularly busy and active with the change to the new job and the move out here. Hard to believe I only have a month left here. And after that? Who knows?

In addition, I'm faced with the challenge of staying fresh after having given the same talks multiple times. What I see is that I have a low tolerance for repetition and monotony. Most people do, but they've developed monotony callouses on the brain where I have not.

This all leads me to a couple points. Seems obvious, but I have choices to make regarding how I look at this work and handle the things I tell myself about it. Each tour is new. I may have the same outline as I had before, but each time is different. Perhaps that's the trick for me: to get better at delivering the talks and allow each one to have it's own character each time, while covering essentially the same material, and still telling myself I did a good job, the best I could at the time. What that does is it frees me up to allow every group to feel different, be different.

My second thought is this also pushes me even harder to focus on ways/work where I get to speak about things I care about and to start to creating whatever that is going to be. The public speaking is something I love, but I also love the creation of what I'm going to talk about as much as anything. The writing and creating keeps things dynamic. Those are two sides of this coin, and I love the whole coin.

Comments

Popular Posts