Lefse

Baby, it's just plain cold outside. And today was a rest day, so I'm admitting to you right now that I've not done much today. I did help make lefse (pronounced lef-suh), a traditional Norwegian item that was handed down to my mom and our family from Grandma Kortemeyer and her side of my dad's family, the Sundems. They're full Norwegian, don't ya know. That means my dad is 1/2 and I'm 1/4 Norwegian.

Today, however, I felt like I had a full connection to my roots in Norway. I made a nice connection with Grandma K and heard her sweet, sing-songy chuckle. I could hear her laughing as I used her old lefse making tools with some improvisation, and as I found myself really enjoying what I was doing. I know she was there with me. Thanks, Grandma. It was good to get to hang with you again. I imagine that she's made some lefse for friends in the great beyond recently, and I'm sure she wowed them. People raved, no doubt.

The remainder of the day has been spent resting. Oh, I forgot that I actually did get out and run this morning because I needed the exercise. Of course, the sub-zero temps and super nasty wind chill had a lot to do with my revitalized "sinus joy" along with the 87 sneezes I've put out in the last couple hours.

Comments

Popular Posts