Into the Wild

challenge. growth. life.

There is beauty in listening to my inner voice. It's why I am here.

To listen to parts of the soundtrack from "Into the Wild" from Eddie Vedder while viewing this blog, open a new tab and then copy and paste http://www.intothewild.com/itw_main_musicplayer_standalone.html for the new tab.

Parts of me were scared when I first came across the story of Christopher McCandless' journey in Krakauer's "Into the Wild." I was scared that I would turn out like Chris. I judged him to be alone, separated by his thoughts from experiencing love. I was afraid that I would estrange myself from my family and friends by getting out and traveling and going for life, and that my own thoughts would get in the way of me truly loving.

I came across the book while living in Utah with my brother and his family. As I mentioned, it scared me. This was one of my first adventures in life after college. It was a time of excitement, of fear, of growth. I am aware now more than ever that I have been scared of life, scared of opening to my desire to get out there and experience life the way I imagined it. Because I imagined it was scary to live, to love, to try. It could involve failure, taking a wrong turn.

I now know wrong turns are part of the journey. I wish I had a dollar for every dead end I've run into in Cleveland while exploring the city. But from every time I've found nothing but frustration and challenge, I've learned to love the common, to exist with the sad parts and not get too high on the sweet parts. That's life.

http://www.intothewild.com/

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Scott, I just wanted to make sure that I was able to comment before I spent any time writing. Your insight is fabulous, your writing is eloquent and flowing. I am so inspired by your openness and your ability to express it. I am truly moved. Thank you for sharing yourself in this way. Like I said...Wow!
Love, T

Popular Posts