Of Good and Bad

Religion. It's a powerful force. It has been a powerful force in this country in the making of our culture, in the creation of "morals", and in the delineation of "good" and "bad." What are these things? Seriously, what are they? In my life, "good" has often meant the thing or deed that is in alignment with the authority figure at the time, in that certain place. "Bad" then, is the thing that is out of alignment with authority. If the authority is my boss, my job, then I better do the job as the boss says, or I end up in the "bad" category. If the authority is a teacher, and I was not doing what she wanted me to, then I was "bad." If the authority is a bill collector, and I am unable to pay the bill the way the bill collector wants, then I am "bad." Bullshit.

All this thinking started with religion for me. Religion says "Please me. Make me feel good." And who do I make feel good through religion? Those who think they are in control, or think they need to control me.

But, I recently realized again, as for the first time, that I don't have to make anyone else happy. This thing has been drilled into me for my whole life - "Make me feel good. Do what I say." What about what I want? That's where I'm at. Even dating became this for me.

I tried to make the others feel good with my actions. But that's not something I can do. You take care of you. I take care of me. You decide if you are going to be happy. I decide for me. So, even if I make a mistake tonight at work by giving someone the wrong food, or whatever, I still can love myself, be kind to myself, and feel good. No mistake about that. And I don't have to look for someone else's approval or wait for them to pat me on the back and say "It's okay." I'm good just as I am. I Am God. You Are God Also. It's not good or bad. It's my truth. Dig it?

Comments

Popular Posts