Good Morning from Camp

I've gotten in the habit of getting up early to do some things I don't usually get to do during the day. One of those is blogging. This week is our first week having two groups in one week. The first half of camp this week came in Monday and left Wednesday at noon. The second half came in Wednesday and leaves Friday. It's been fun, but I've found how easy it is to get used to the sitting around that we did for parts of the week every other week when we only had one group in, or no groups.
And since we are on that subject, it reminds me of my old life where it seemed like I was always on the go, running to this job, and that, trying to have some fun, getting into nature, running. And that when I was working at the restaurant, it usually involved a lot of walking and activity.
The camp is fun, the kids one of the highlights always, and the best part is being present in nature. That doesn't mean I am always present, but I'm doing a better job at just breathing. When I do that, it allows me to feel my body more, feel my feet on the ground, and just feel in general. The brain can go into neutral, and I don't have to think so much. That makes life much better for me.
I've also started getting away by myself in the evenings a little more, giving me time to work on some emotional tripping spots, and rechoose what I'm thinking with regard to them. Once upon a time I did this on a nightly basis. I would take time when I went to bed, or when I got home from school, and I would disengage my brain from these things that had been bothering me. Mostly I realized, that nothing was so important that I needed to sacrifice my own mental/emotional health for these worries. Just an adaptation for my own health. Well, I'm glad to be back using that more often. Have a great day! Gota go a campin' now.

Comments

Mr.Half said…
Go breathing! I was reading some of the same stuff you have been and I was blown away at how simple and obvious breathing is... but I never pay attemtion to it. I started paying attemtion and BLAMO I was amazed to realize how radically my breathing changes when I am happy vs stressed out and all things in between.

I had started to forget... thanks for the reminder! Reminding myself to breathe really can snap me out of my own dramatic funk.

The other thing I was thinking about recently is the thing where, when you get all wrapped up in your own dramtic story, you step back and say, "Just thinking, buddy" Just more thoughts, like any others... and poof! They no longer have their claws in you and you can let them go!

Have fun at camp and keeping rocking the blog, cuz!
Dear Ben, thanks for the note. It sounds like a great realization for you. And hey, congrats on the new chil'. I'm sure big sis is pretty proud.
talk to ya. S

Popular Posts