Surrender

I worked tonight, "running" food at the restaurant. I deliver food to the right table and seat from the chef's window. It was an easy night, not a big rush, but also not a lot of tip money. I did well though, and I'll tell you why I say that. I've learned the value of humbling myself, and giving myself to the job. I don't know if I can explain it, but I'll try.

There's a part of me that often gets caught up in looking for some kind of ego stroke while I'm at work. I'm trying to make the customers laugh, trying to catch a pretty lady's eye, or just in general think something that boosts my ego. Or, perhaps my ego thoughts say "You have to be perfect." If I'm locked in that, then I'm working hard to try to keep everyone happy and trying to be perfect. Instead I just do the job the best I can, allowing for mistakes if they happen, and not beating myself up if they do.

One really big mistake I made recently happened a 'couple weeks ago. I was clearing tables on a Saturday night, and I accidentally bumped a small table, spilling water, coffee, and who knows what else on this guy's really nice jacket. I felt bad, but was able to give myself a break that night, though I was upset by it initially. It doesn't even make sense to call it a really big mistake. In the grand scheme, it's just one learning opportunity like the next or the last.

Ego thought would either say "He deserved it" or would encourage self flagellation. Instead, what can happen in the case of the ruined jacket is a simple realization of what has happened, sincerity of feeling and understanding, apology, and some appropriate action, like helping to clean it up. Then, simple learning, sans self-whipping.

Humbling myself is not an easy thing to do, but it certainly feels better than getting locked in the ego mind. I am much more efficient and more present at work if I give myself over to work completely. It also helps with work relationships, any kind of relationship, actually. More on that later.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hey Scott, You sound like you are learning so much about yourself...very inspiring! Are you still thinking about coming through Colorado in March?
Love,
Tink
It does not look like that will be happening this year. I have a job possibility that would sort of preclude me from moving away or from wanting to. Let's Talk!

Popular Posts